Feeling overwhelmed about navigating the buzzing Myeongdong shopping street in Seoul? Known as Korea’s popular shopping street, this lively area has everything from stylish clothes and Korean cosmetics to delicious street food.
Myeongdong walking street is definitely worth visiting during your stay in Seoul. Do expect it to be crowded though, as it’s one of the main attractions and shopping streets in the city.
The street food is a little more expensive here compared to other places. It’s home to lots of shops, restaurants and especially neon lights. So, where to start?
This ultimate guide will simplify your visit by highlighting the must-visit shops, dining spots and tips for an unforgettable experience. Ready to explore? Let’s dive into the world of Myeongdong!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links below may contain affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase.
Must-visit shops in Myeongdong shopping street
Explore the top Korean fashion and cosmetics brands in Myeongdong.
Top Korean fashion brands
You will find top Korean fashion brands in Myeongdong. They have the latest trends and best styles.
- SPAO: This brand is a must-visit shop in Myeongdong. You can get trendy outfits here.
- 8 seconds: This brand gives you clothing options for every occasion. They have casual wear, suits, and children’s clothing.
- TOP TEN: This is another top Korean fashion brand you should not miss. You will find wardrobe essentials and cool accessories here.
Korean cosmetics brands
Myeongdong in Seoul is a treasure chest for Korean skincare and makeup fans. This bustling shopping hub is home to many top Korean cosmetics brands.
- Innisfree: This popular brand offers natural beauty products. From face masks to body lotions, you will love what they have.
- Etude House: Known for its playful packaging, this brand sells high-quality makeup and skincare items.
- Nature Republic: Find the best aloe vera gels here! The store offers natural skin remedies and much more.
- Missha: Visit this store for highly pigmented makeup items and effective skincare products.
- Olive Young: This shop has all the cult beauty products from Korea under one roof!
- Skinfood: Just like its name, this brand believes in feeding your skin the best nutrients.
- The Face Shop: You can find a wide range of skincare, haircare, and beauty products here.
- Banila Co: Famous for its Clean It Zero cleansers which are well-loved by K-beauty enthusiasts.
- 3CE (Three Concept Eyes): A shop loved by the young crowd for its trendy makeup shades.
- Holika Holika: Offers creative and fun cosmetics at an affordable price.
Olive Young flagship store & branches
In Myeongdong, Seoul, you can find the Olive Young flagship store and its branches. These stores are easy to reach from both Myeongdong Station and Euljiro 1-ga Station.
Olive Young is a popular beauty destination with over 1,000 stores across Korea. It’s affordable and my favorite go-to shop in Korea to bring back home K-beauty souvenirs.
The Myeongdong flagship store has recently been renovated and is a must-visit for all your beauty shopping needs. Not only does Olive Young offer cosmetics like makeup and skincare products, but they also have wellness items and health supplements.
So make sure to check out this ultimate health and beauty haven during your visit to Myeongdong!
Dining and entertainment in Myeongdong
Myeongdong shopping street is home to lots of street food vendors, popular restaurants and trendy cafes.
Myeongdong street food
This is one of the best places to try delicious Korean cuisine in Seoul. Here are some delicious dishes and snacks you must try while here:
- Tteokbokki: Spicy rice cakes that are chewy and flavorful.
- Pajeon: A savory pancake filled with green onions and other ingredients.
- Dumplings: Steamed or fried dumplings stuffed with meat or vegetables.
- Kimchi: Fermented cabbage with a tangy and spicy taste.
- Hotteok: Sweet pancakes with a gooey cinnamon filling.
- Kimbap: Rice rolls filled with various ingredients like vegetables, meat, or seafood.
- Tornado Potatoes: Spiral-cut potatoes on a stick, crispy and seasoned to perfection.
- Grilled Lobster: Freshly grilled lobster tail served with butter or sauce.
Popular restaurants & cafes
Myeongdong is known for its vibrant restaurant and café culture. It offers a diverse range of cuisines from around the world.
Whether you’re craving Korean barbecue, Japanese sushi, Italian pasta, or American burgers, you’ll find plenty of options to choose from. Here are some must-visit places to eat:
Street vendors: Don’t forget to eat at a food stall in Myeongdong. Try tasty treats like tteokbokki (spicy rice cakes), hotteok (sweet pancakes), and gimbap (seaweed rice rolls).
Wangbijip Myeongdong Main store: If you’re looking for a place to eat Korean bbq, then I would highly recommend eating at Wangbijip. This is definitely one of the best places to go for a Korean bbq.
And although Myeongdong is home to many different cuisines, experiencing Korean bbq is one of the best things to do here.
Myeongdong NANTA Theatre
Myeongdong NANTA Theatre is a must-visit place for entertainment in Myeongdong, Seoul. Located conveniently in the center of Myeongdong, this theater offers an impressive Nanta show that combines comedy, acrobatics, and music.
The show takes place in a kitchen setting and features funny events and amazing acrobatic performances. Make sure to check out Myeongdong NANTA Theatre during your visit here!
The best hotels in Myeongdong
Discover the top hotels near Myeongdong Station, offering convenience and luxury for your stay in Seoul.
Recommended hotels near Myeongdong Station
Looking for a place to stay near Myeongdong Station? Here are some highly recommended hotels:
Hotel28 Myeongdong: for a small luxury hotel in the centre of Seoul.
Lotte City Hotel Myeongdong: if you’re looking for a hotel with great service and lots of amenities, then this is an amazing place to stay.
Tips for visiting Myeongdong
When visiting Myeongdong, make sure to plan your route ahead of time to easily navigate the busy streets.
How to get to Myeongdong
To get to Myeongdong, one of Seoul’s top shopping districts, follow these simple steps:
Use the efficient and convenient Seoul subway system to get around the city. If you’re staying near Myeongdong Station, it’s just a short walk from there.
If you’re traveling on line 3, you can also get off at Euljiro 3. From here it’s around fifteen minutes by foot to the famous shopping area.
Alternatively, you can take a bus or hail a taxi to reach Myeongdong easily. When here, you can get around in Myeongdong by walking.
Ready to explore Myeongdong Street? Here are some important tips for your visit:
- Plan your transportation: Use the subway to get to Myeongdong easily. The station is well-connected and it’s the most convenient way to reach the district.
- Come hungry: Myeongdong is famous for its delicious street food. Don’t miss out on trying local favorites like tteokbokki (spicy rice cakes) and hotteok (sweet pancakes).
- Get ready for crowds: Myeongdong is always filled with people, especially during weekends and holidays. Be prepared for busy streets and crowded shops.
- Bring cash: While many shops accept card payments, it’s a good idea to have some cash on hand, especially at street food stalls or small vendors.
- Try bargaining: Some shops in Myeongdong are open to bargaining, especially those selling accessories or clothes. Give it a try and you might get a good deal!
- Stay hydrated: With all the walking and shopping, it’s important to stay hydrated. Carry a bottle of water with you or stop by one of the convenience stores in the area.
- Wear comfortable shoes: You’ll be doing a lot of walking in Myeongdong, so make sure to wear comfortable shoes that can handle all the exploring.
Places worth visiting near Myeongdong
Nearby Myeongdong, you can explore the picturesque Bukchon Hanok Village, take in the breathtaking views from Namsan & Seoul Tower, or venture out to other captivating spots just waiting to be discovered.
Bukchon Hanok Village
Bukchon Hanok Village is a special place in Seoul where you can see traditional Korean houses. These houses are made of wood and have been around for over 600 years, so they give you a glimpse into the past during the Joseon Dynasty era.
It’s amazing that these historical landmarks are still preserved and open to the public. When you visit Bukchon Hanok Village, you can explore its narrow streets and admire the beautiful architecture.
It’s a great experience for cultural tourism, and it’s definitely worth visiting if you’re interested in traditional Korean architecture and historic preservation.
Namsan & Seoul Tower
Seoul Tower is on top of Mt. Namsan and offers great views of the city. It’s a famous place to visit for tourists, with an observatory to see the whole cityscape.
If you’re in Myeongdong, it’s easy to get to Namsan and Seoul Tower. You can take a shuttle bus or just walk there. It’s definitely worth checking out!
Other places nearby
There are many other places near Myeongdong shopping street that you should visit. Here are some of them:
- Insadong: Explore this vibrant neighborhood known for its antique shops, art galleries, and traditional tea houses.
- Gyeongbokgung Palace: Visit the largest and most iconic palace in Seoul, which dates back to the Joseon Dynasty.
- Changdeokgung Palace: Discover another beautiful palace that is a UNESCO World Heritage site and known for its stunning secret garden.
- Hongdae: Experience the youthful energy of Hongdae, an area popular with students and artists that offers trendy shops and live music venues. It’s one of my favorite areas in Seoul and is home to many beautiful and serene cafes. At the same time, near Hongdae Street you can find lots of street performances.
- Dongdaemun Design Plaza (DDP): Discover the futuristic architecture of DDP, which is a hub for fashion, design, and cultural events.
Discover the vibrant and diverse Myeongdong shopping street, one of Seoul’s must-visit places. This ultimate guide provides everything you need to know about its top shops, dining options, hotels and nearby attractions.
Whether you love shopping, food, or simply exploring a different culture, Myeongdong has something for everyone. Get ready to immerse yourself in the buzzing atmosphere and experience the best that this amazing street has to offer!
Away with Danae
See more South Korea travel content: